The Tests you Should Run:
- Check if your website is Google Mobile Friendly – not sure if your website is responsive, now is the time to check because google have begun penalising websites rankings for sites that aren’t ‘mobile friendly’
- Assess your page speed – Google Page Speed – so that you can improve where needed.
- SEO Site Check Up – Run your website through their free checker and then I highly recommend downloading the PDF so you can refer to it. This will give you a few pointers to look out for.
- Sucuri security Scan – ‘the Sucuri SiteCheck scanner will check the website for known malware, blacklisting status, website errors, and out-of-date software’.
- Having some code problems? W3C Validator – may help you pinpoint where it is all going wrong as it will highlight any html errors!
- WordPress Broken Link Checker – install this plugin to monitor any WordPress Broken Link Checker – install this plugin to monitor for any broken links (links that no longer work)
Clear out the Clutter
- Are there any redundant sections of your site or pages that are no longer needed – delete!
- Check your comments and empty the spam, if you don’t already have one then it’s time to install a plugin such as Akismet to help keep your WordPress spam comments out.
- Refine your blog categories – these should reflect the core subjects of your blog.
- Simplify that sidebar (and menu), remember that the less links the better, too many decisions isn’t good so guide your visitor through your website as much as possible.
- Do you have old photos of yourself? It’s probably time to update them!
- Ensure all your contact details are up to date.
- Update your about page and/or bio to reflect anything that is different or no longer relevant.
‘Re-decorate’ to Refresh Your Site
Is it time to spruce up your website’s appearance? Sometimes small changes are all that is needed, you could look to change up some colours and freshen up the fonts. Maybe some new graphics will give your website the new look it needs from the header to the social icons and buttons. If you also have a blog perhaps you could change up your post image template for a new look.
– Ruby and Sass has some fabulous designer photo overlays for free
– Creative Market does weekly free goodies from fonts, photos to templates so worth checking out and they have so many great premium options that support designers. Their bundle deals are also amazing if you regularly create your own graphics.
If you would love some help with ‘re-decorating’ your website then my Makeover Kit is only available at £150 until the end of May so don’t miss this special price and book now. Price will increase to £200.