Show Your Work
10 ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered
by Austin Kleon
It’s a small book at just 15cm square and makes an easy read but with a ton of insight packed in to it’s pages. The book is very well designed featuring a mix of imagery and handwritten elements. Although the book could be presumed to be specifically for artist I feel that it is a worthwhile read for anyone with a creative business whether this be artists, make-up artists, copywriters etc because the principles (see the chapters) are widely relevant.
- You don’t have to be a genius.
- Think process. Not product.
- Share something small every day.
- Open up your cabinet of curiosities.
- Tell good stories.
- Teach what you know.
- Don’t turn into human spam.
- Learn to take a punch.
- Sell out.
- Stick around.
KEY TAKEAWAYS FOR ME
- As a designer I could share more of the behind the scenes thinking of a project – I did share a case study on the blog but this is something I could incorporate more of. I might also share more in depth of specific stages of the design process. (Think process. Not product.)
- Remembering to utilise social media to share something small every day
- It might be interesting to feature more my inspirations and influences (Open up your cabinet of curiosities) as I already like to share the tools and resources I find useful.
- I’ve been reflecting a lot recently on what I enjoy doing and what I am good at, I do think I want to continue to use my blog to continue to teach what I know. Perhaps I would also enjoy creating some kind of teaching course, so this is something to think about.
- One quote to keep in mind “It’s very important not to quit prematurely”
This is just what stands out to me personally at the moment, but there is so many more little gems of advice in there too!
Have you read it? What did you think?